School Focused Resources
Bulletin Board Displays
Printable Display Boards (tri fold/ window displays)
- Celebrities with PTSD (PHOTO)
- Rethink the Stigma - Celebrities (PHOTO)
- Be Kind to Yourself
- Active Listening
- Growth Mindset
- Student Focused Printables (free)
- Brochures to print - some available in Spanish
- Brochures and Fact Sheets-
- Sign for Classroom Window- Print this hand to display in your window to the hall or on your door symbolizing to staff and students you are a safe person to talk to about suicide issues. Please print both sides back to back.
- Printables for Display Board & Vertical signs for Display Board
- Announcers Sheets during time outs & Half -Time for announcer when collecting donations
- Hand outs for Table (These can be printed double sided.)
- Fire Arm Safety printable information
- Thank you to sponsors
- Lifesaver Candy Attachables (optional to have on table or packs of gum)
- Thank you to Coaches
Videos to show your classroom:
(Click on underlined title to view video)
- Black Dog, Named Depression: cartoon explaining what it feels like to live with depression.
- Choose to stay : Student focused.
- Seize the Awkward: Humorous, explains the importance of using. "awkward silences" to speak to a friend.
- #Stop the Stigma : College age students, explaining their depression experiences.
- Stay & Find your reason to live: (2:36) different people saying their reason to stay alive.
- Warning Signs (30 sec) (ASL Interpreted)
- Resources to Use (30 sec) (ASL Interpreted)
- Sympathy VS Empathy : (3 min) cartoon that gives a easy to understand explanation of how you should truly listen to someone when they are sad or feeling hopeless, even if you don't know what to say.
- Random Act of Kindness can Stop a Suicide : No speaking only reading words about a strangers kindness. "Random Acts of Kindness Cards" (Click to find here)
- The Science of Kindness : (3 min) easily understood how being kind to others helps you feel good too.
- The World we Make inspires Kindness (2:43 video)
Parent Focused: Talking to a Student about an Attempted Suicide
After an Attempt
- Brochure - After an Attempt
- What to say after an attempt and how to support them
- What NOT to say
- Guiding their way back after a suicide attempt
- The Immediate Crisis is Over, Now What?
What to tell Children About Suicide:
- Talking to your child about suicide
- When A Child's Friend Dies by Suicide
- Preparing your child to attend a funeral of a friend
- When A child's friend attempts Suicide
- When kid return to school after an attempt
Transitioning into College & College Life - Mental Health and Suicide
- It's Real: College Student and Mental Health - Documentary and Facilitator's Guide
- College Suicide Prevention and Awareness Guidebook -
- Social Support for College Students Success - Information for transitioning to college
- Mental Health Guidebook for Students -
- College Depression & what parents should know
- Suicide and Depression Guide -
- How to Balance Student Stress -
Camps for Kids
- Camp SOUL - (Supporting Others Understanding Loss) Free - children 7-17 yrs who have suffered the loss of a loved one. Hubertus, WI (near Milwaukee)
- Camp Hometown Heroes - is a national free week-long overnight summer camp for children of fallen U.S. service members who died in any manner: combat, accident, illness or suicide. (Grafton Area)
- Camp Hope - is a weekend camp where children are brought together to work through the grieving process after a loved one dies. (Wisconsin Lions Camp -Rosholt, WI )
- Camp Lloyd in (Green Bay, WI) - is a week long day camp from 8:30 am - 4:00 pm for grieving children, ages 7 - 14 yrs.
- Digital Resource For Mental Health at All Ages : Apps, gaming, digital education resources for Mood Improvement, Stress, Mood Disorder, Self-image, Mindfulness, Addiction Recovery, Grief & Bereavement.
- Multiple Resources from statistics, warning signs, and how to help
- Suicide Prevention Resource Center
- Society for the Prevention of Teen Suicide
- Wisconsin DPI Link
- State Statue
- Enhancing School Staff Understanding of Mental Health.
- The Role of High School Teachers in Preventing Suicide.
- American Foundation For Suicide Prevention Programs available
- PBS Curriculum and Videos for Suicide Prevention. Will take two 50 minute classes plus one 30 minute time to view video
- Free Downloads- The Center for Suicide Awareness
- Identify & Assist People at Risk
- Teen Prevention & Counseling - Encourage teens to use counseling
- You Can Not be Replaced- bracelets
- Workshops & Tool Kits SPRC (Suicide Prevention Resource Center)
- Programs & Campaigns SAMHSA (Substance Abuse & Mental Health Services Administration)
- After a Suicide- Tool Kit AFSP (American Foundation for Suicide Prevention)
- After a Suicide Tool Kit- Suicide Prevention resource Center
- A students return after a suicide related absence (PDF handout)
Gay, Lesbian , Transgender issues and suicide
- LGBT Guide for Inclusivity in the Classroom Hints on how to make your classroom more LGBT friendly
- SPRC (Suicide Prevention Life Line) - highlighting risk factors for this population
Motivational Temporary Tattoos - Get a pack for your classroom, the nurses office or counselors office.
- "I am" Collection-
- 5 designs (2 in x 1.5 in) (Etsy - Glitterandpine) Free shipping
- "You are Enough" - (2 in long) (Etsy - Symbolicimports)
- " This too shall pass" , " Calm" -
- 5 designs in black & white or color. (Etsy - Mentalhealthmagic)
- "Keep Going" - 5 Designs (1.5 in long) (Etsy - pepperink)
- "Perfectly Imperfect" - (2.5 in x 1 in) (Conscious Ink)
- Available in white ink
- "Tattoo Packs" focused on - Be Kind, Love My Body, Empower, Gratitude, Self-Love, Be Present, Survivor/Thriver, Girl Power, Be You and more.
Awareness Months Resources :
Please share with us on our facebook page: Suicide Prevention Coalition of Iowa County WI
Start now before your school has a crisis. If you start after the crisis it may appear to others that the school is sensationalizing a recent suicide versus being pro active and trying to spread awareness and appropriate resources.
August 6 - National Friendship Day
August 8 - Happiness Happens Day
National Self- Awareness Month
- 7 tips to help teens become more self-aware
- 6 tips to help encourage self-awareness in teens
- Self-Awareness Activities & test to use with students
- Promoting Self- Awareness in Middle & High School
National Self-Improvement Month
- Week by Week Guide
- Self-Esteem and Self-Improvement Lesson Plans
- Elementary and Middle School self-improvement
Suicide Prevention Awareness Month Resources:
- Suicide Prevention (Wis DPI)
- Suicide Prevention & Awareness Lesson Plans Grades 5-12 (Education Lab)
- Curriculum of suicide & Depression - PBS
- Teacher Resources on Suicide Prevention (Teacher Version)
- Workshop and Tool Kits
Sept. 10- Light a candle in a window to remember suicide victims. Once a School had the kids color a picture of a candle, cut it out and taped it to their locker in remembrance. Even the simplest things can bring awareness in your school. With Awareness will come conversation and the breaking down of stigmas.
September 7- National Grandparents Day
Reported by USA Today: The elderly are the highest risk population in the country for suicide. But few suicide-prevention programs target them;... And mental health experts say the number of elderly suicides is likely to climb as baby boomers enter their twilight years.
Lesson Plans on the Following Websites:
National Depression Screening Day (1st Thursday of the 1st full week of October)
October 10 - National Mental Health Day
October 23-31 National Red Ribbon Week (Drug- Free America)
National Depression Awareness Month Resources:
- Making sense of Mental Health (lesson Plans)
- Peer-to-Peer Depression Campaign
- Lesson Plans & Discussion Guides (scroll down to Depression, Mental Health and Suicide)
- Self-Image lesson plans (Scroll down to self-Image)
- Promote mental health by inviting in someone skilled in relaxation techniques for your staff. Teach students to meditate, journal, Daily find the positive in their day.
National Bully Prevention Month Resources:
- Easy Teacher Worksheets for Bully Prevention
- Bully Prevention & Character Building
- Bully Lesson Plan for a Bully - Free School
- Bully & Teasing (grades k-5)
- Anti-Bullying Contest for your students
- Anti Bullying Contest Winners (Video)
- Student Bullying Awareness Guidebook -
- Cyberbullying Awareness Guidebook -
- Cyber Bullying Laws
International Stress Awareness Day (1st Wed. in Nov.)
- Ways to Manage Stress Lesson Plan
- Busting Stress Lesson Plans Grades 7-12
- Unit Plan for Teaching about Stress
- 7 Mindfulness Practices for Middle Schoolers
- Introducing Mindfulness into your School
- Mindfulness Teaching Resources
National Survivors of Suicide Day (Saturday before Thanksgiving)
- Please refer to September tool kits, resources and lesson plans
No Name Calling Week (3rd week in Jan.)
- How to Organize your First No Name Calling Week
- 5 Lesson Plans for No Name Calling Week
- Resources for No Name Calling Week in your school
February 17 - Random Act of Kindness Day
- Kindness in the Classroom Lesson Plans (High School)
- Character Education (6 grade)
- Random Act of Kindness can Stop a Suicide : (Video) No speaking only reading words about a strangers kindness. "Random Acts of Kindness Cards" (Click to find here)
- The Science of Kindness : (3 min video) easily understood how being kind to others helps you feel good too.
- The World we Make inspires Kindness (2:43 video)
March (1st full week) Sleep Awareness Week.
- Teaching kids why sleep is important (National Sleep Foundation)
- k-12 Lesson Plans "Sleep Education"
- K- 2 gr. "Sleep" (Kids Health)
- Video Mayo Clinic talking about sleep (1 min)
Self-Harm Awareness Month
- High School Counselors Activities
- Managing Self-Harm Practical Guidance and tool kit for Schools (UK)
- Information from Mental Health America
- Website of resources and statistics
- Video on Understanding Self-Harm (3 min)
- 33 Physical Alternatives to Self-Harm Video (6:43 min) professional therapist
- Alternatives to self harm (4 min.-teen focus) Please preview before using. You know your audience and if this would help or NOT. Henna is also a good alternative.
Stress Awareness Month
- Tips for teachers to de-stress students in the class room
- Tips to De-Stress the Educators
- Mindfulness for Teachers
- 19 page manual of activities for kids of all ages
Alcohol Awareness Month
- Middle School Activities
- Health Problem Series from Kids Health 6-8 Grade
- Lesson Plans & Tool Kits
- "On the Rocks" Resource Guide The Epidemic of Teen Drinking
(April 10) National Sibling Day
May 14-20, 2017 Substance Abuse & Mental Health Services Prevention Week
Family Support Month
National Maternal Depression Month
- Group rates for Mindfulness in Schools & Resources for your classroom
- Activities & Games
- Lesson Plans from Education World
- Middle School Full Module
- Worksheets and Activities for kids of all ages
Mental Health Awareness Week Resources: (Second Monday in May)
- ·Classes & Programs offered by National Alliance of Mental Illness
- 4 books specifically picked for Mental Health Awareness Month
- Awareness Week (NAMI)
June 12-18, 2017 National Men's Health week
PTSD Awareness Month
- Handouts & Resources (Veterans) and More Resources (Click Here)
- When a Student's Parent may have PTSD
- Resources specifically for schools
- Helping Kids During Crisis
Gay & Lesbian Pride Month
- Download the Educators Guide to LGBT
- Making your classroom more Inclusive for LGBT
- Inclusive Classroom Resources
- Lesson Plans for a Gay Straight Alliance Club (diversity Club)
National Minority Mental Health Month
- Mental Health Resources for People of Color
- NAMI Statistics (National Association of Mental Illness)
- US Government website with events and statistics
- Resources for Therapy for Underrepresented Communities
Spreading Suicide Prevention Message Responsibly
- Framework for Successful Messaging about suicide to the public
- Strategic Communication Planning of a Suicide Prevention Message
- National Recommendation for Depicting Suicide in Prevention Efforts
Ideas for Classrooms or Staff Meeting:
- Create a display in your library or hallway about relating to the topic (or e-mail for suggestions and information SPCICWI@gmail.com)
- Hang signs of awareness or statistics on lockers or decorate your Classroom door
- Have a special day of wearing a color to represent a theme
- Short statistics over morning announcements for a week
- Show the short 30 second Public Service Announcement in class or at a staff meeting.
- Show 3 minute informational video at the beginning of staff meeting or to your students.
- Host a FREE QPR Training for your staff, students, and or family members. Find a QPR Trainer in Wisconsin - alphabetized by county
- Print the sign for your classroom window (2 sided) and put it up (top left of this page).
- Buy some motivational temporary tattoos for kids to have when they are having a hard time.
- Have the students or staff create your own Public Service Announcement (PSA)
Be part of an already created video.
Use your phone to film a short video of yourself saying “Stay.” And then finish the sentence: “I was made for _________.” Make sure to film the video in a well lit area with your phone turned horizontal, and then email your video to WSPD@twloha.com.
Staff and Administration:
It is vital to read through your Standards of Practice following a death in the District in regards to suicide and what should and should not be done and why. It is good to be ready for a tragedy prior to the occurrence and have steps and procedures in place to make the crisis response time as efficient as possible.
Memorials and grieving in the schools
- Memorials After a Suicide (Society for the Prevention of Teen Suicide)
- School Memorials (National Institute for Trauma and Loss in Children)
- School & Community Memorials for students that die by suicide (Wis. DPI)
- When Death Impacts Your School
- Post-vention Standard Manual- A Guide for a Schools Response in the aftermath of a Sudden Death
- Recording Resilience Program- Short Video
Online Training (Many possible Free CEU's)
- Suicide Prevention Resource Center
- Society for the Prevention of Teen Suicide
- International Crisis Incident Stress Foundation
- Professional Development Series
- Required Suicide Training for Teachers in Indiana
- Suicide Training for Teachers in Utah
Webinars & Conference Calls